Tuesday, October 08, 2019

fran-is-trying-her-best:

Question for my fellow spoonies out there 😄

TLDR- how do I talk to my friend about being unable to drive because of medication?

I have chronic pain and I take mmj for it when I can and another pain med when it gets really bad.

My best friend also has some pain problems but doesn’t take anything for it so she isn’t ever really unable to drive because of that.

My question is how can I talk to her about my medication and why I can’t drive because of it.

I feel so guilty when I have to ask her to come to pick me up (we live 2-3 min) when we wanna hang but I really need to take my meds so I’m not in that much pain what can I do to make it easier for her and for me??

For example: today she asked me to meet her at her house at 5 but I would have to drive there after I go home from school and that’s when I need to take the medication and won’t be able to drive. It’s always so stressful and anxiety inducing to have to ask her to pick me up.

My Reply:

Is it possible to take the meds after you get to her house? How long do the effects last until you can drive again?

If you have a set schedule of when you take them and you can’t drive for an hour afterwards (say you take your meds at 5pm), two options are that she can try to schedule things after 6pm, or if your pain is low enough to still drive then then at 5pm drive over and take your meds when you get there.

There needs to be balance on both sides so by opting to take your meds when you get there (when you’re able to) shows her that your not using your meds as excuse (hopefully she doesn’t think this), or by explaining “I can meet you anytime after 6pm” gives her clear guidelines to understand. If she wants to meet before 6pm she can pick you up.

I get tired easily I have breathing issues and my body gets warn down; I'm well known for falling asleep anywhere and if I’m driving will zone out or fall asleep at the wheel. When I go out with friends and I’m not feeling up to driving -or I know I won’t be able to drive later- I’ll offer to let them drive my car so even though they’re driving I’m still contributing.