Last month I went on my longest road trip! Broken over three days each way, I went down with my dad and then back up with a friend. We spent most of our time in Florida but also made a few tourist stops in Georgia, and visited family along the way.
On the way down my dad and I each chose places we wanted to visit, and my choice was the Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park. The picture of the giant hill is actually a picture of the Great Temple Mound. The remains of it were found during excavation in the 1930’s and was restored along with other mounds at the park; the floor in the temple is over 1000 years old. It was breath taking, seeing a structure that has so much history and imagining the city that was built around it. It’s a huge park and I’d like to go back for a couple days so I can explore and read everything.
One of the places my dad chose was The Allman Brother’s Museum at the Big House. The stained glass above is the front entryway to the museum; not original to when the band was living in the house but an awesome tribute to their time spent. There was a former roadie who was giving someone a personal tour, and every time we crossed paths I enjoyed listening in on his stories.
While in Sarasota FL I took a day to explore by myself. A family member had told me about the Tamiami Trail, so I grabbed my water and set off. I took a wrong turn and landed in downtown Sarasota, so I pulled over and walked around the city before trying a second time; again I got lost but I found a plaza with two antique stores so I pulled over and checked them out.
The pink flamingos where at a store called Todburn Antiques in Sarasota. I hope to go back again because it had such cool stuff, and the owner and his friend were awesome people. (Shout out to Don & Janet!)
My third attempt got me on the Trail and I got to drive down it in time for a rain storm.
The ride back home was an experience, and I definitely came home more confident about my driving than I was when I left.
The giant sombrero is called Sombrero Tower at a place called South of the Boarder. It’s a tourist trap that we didn’t get to stop at this time, but my friend and I agreed we have to go back. The amount of money they spend on billboards must be crazy, but they catch your attention! After telling family about it I learned the place has been around for decades, and at one point everyone had known someone who’d been there.




