As I said in my last post: “a lot has happened” … a third thing is that I bought a van!!
Its a 2014 Chevy Express passenger van, with all wheel drive, a factory back up camera, a tow package, and has only been in NY for a couple years. I’m not planning on towing anything, but the backup camera was on my list, and AWD was a bonus.
The previous owner kept excellent care of it, meticulous maintenance records, and it was stored inside when not being driven. The motor is only a year old, along with many smaller things that were replaced or upgraded to ensure its safety and reliability.
The day it was posted I called the seller and arranged to drive the two hours to see it; my dad wasn’t thrilled, but was blown away after we checked it out. In his defense, the last van I asked him to check out ended up being a death trap. (I made notes and asked better questions this time around.)
Thankfully, he’s been keeping it safe since I don’t have room at my place. My house search includes having space for my van.
You’re probably wondering, “why was he selling it?”
Unfortunately the owner had passed away. He had a small taxi business, which often included interstate adventures. This van has seen miles! And its why he kept such good care of it. One of his wishes was that the proceeds be denoted to charity, and that’s what his estate was doing.
When I first talked to the seller he let me know the van had a salvaged title for unknown reason, and gave me the VIN number so I could look it up. We learned that it had been rebuilt a couple years after it was made and sold soon after. In this case living in NY came in handy - its originally from out of state and bought by the NY dealership who sold it to this last owner. Because NY has stricter requirements for dealerships than private owners, the frame would have been examined before the state issued a new title.
The executor and I helped each other navigate through the sale since neither of us had done one as an estate before. (The hold time for the DMV help line is no joke lol) He was so patient and helpful, and I’m thankful to have gone through the process with such a person.
I don’t know if he’ll ever see this, but if he does: Thank you for your kindness. You and your family deserve all the best!


